Octopus Energy was founded in 2011 when they built their first solar generation plant. They are among a new group of independent energy suppliers offering renewable energy tariffs to consumers and businesses.
While their primary focus is currently UK households, they do offer businesses free quotes. So if you are thinking of going with a green energy supplier they may be one to consider.
Current Electricity & Gas Tariffs
- Current plans include: Arsenal Green, Octopus 12M Fixed, Super Green Octopus, Flexible Octopus and Helpful Octopus.
- The Super Green Octopus Tariff offers 100% renewable electricity, and full carbon offsets for gas.
- Electricity prices from 12.29 p/kWh.
- Gas prices from 2.89 p/kWh.
- Standing charges from 18.90 p/day.
Octopus Energy company profile: Octopus is the UK’s largest investor in solar farms, accounting for 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar generation, which can power over 250,000 homes (when its sunny). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plants, and “rapid response” gas generation.
They offer a range of fixed and flexible tariffs with their Super Green Octopus Tariff offering 100% renewable electricity, and full carbon offsets for gas. Their aim is to offer clearer, simpler pricing, with bills that actually make sense.
To learn more about their business offerings you’ll have to request a quote.
Octopus Energy Reviews
Overall the vast majority of Octopus Energy reviews online are positive.
“The John Lewis of the energy sector. Such was the high level of customer service, simplicity of switching (without the need for a comparison site) and highly competitive tariffs.” – Ian via Trustpilot
“Communication by email with swift turnaround of answers – very impressive. Would recommend these guys to anyone – and eco friendly too” – askrose via MoneySavingExpert.com
“Great price for the energy supplied. I’m on dual fuel and sincerely doubt I’d get a better price elsewhere.” – Michael via Facebook
“False advertising of customer service” – A via Trustpilot
“Awful awful service, have had to tell them 4 times I have moved and still they haven’t switched me over so I can continue with them” – Neil via Facebook
- Clear contact information (including phone number) on website? Yes
- Case studies and/or reviews on website? Yes, link to independent Trustpilot reviews.
- Straightforward to get quotes? Yes
- Website contains useful information about business energy? No, while they do provide business energy they have almost no information about it on their website.
- Online account management? Yes
Based on the above Octopus Energy gets a website score of 4/5.
– Posted on April 19th, 2017