BES Utilities Business Electricity & Gas: Tariffs & Reviews
Save time, compare the latest tariffs and protect your business energy bills within 60 seconds
A Guide To BES Utilities
BES Utilities was founded in 2002, formerly known as Business Energy Solutions LTD; they are one of the more established independent business energy suppliers based in the UK. With head offices in Fleetwood, Lancashire and new offices in Manchester, they pride themselves on delivering consistently high levels of customer service and innovative products to businesses across all industries, intending to become the best independent commercial energy supplier in the United Kingdom.
BES Utilities provide its customers with fair, transparent, honest, and professional services through continuous improvement in customer engagement and investing in employees, processes, and systems for maximum potential.
For over ten years, BES Utilities have installed free smart meters to ensure they contribute to the UK’s energy infrastructure and make it fit for the next generation. They understand that their customers value receiving correct information and bills that only charge them for energy used. This practice encourages accurate readings to reduce a business’s carbon footprint. By the end of 2023, they aim to have 1,690 electricity meter points and 582 gas meter points.
They sponsor Fleetwood Town Football Club and the Blackpool Illuminations and are proud to support their local community, recently donating £10,000 to support training programmes tackling bullying in local schools.
BES Utilities Reviews
BES Utilities have an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot, based on around 13,000 reviews. 67% of those are 5-star reviews, whilst the other four ratings are split between 1% and 22% - averaging as a great experience. Most comments state how they received excellent customer service after experiencing issues and how they resolved any problems over the phone.
“We are delighted to be working with BES Utilities and believe our expertise can help the company best develop new systems which will be invaluable for both BES and its customers.” – Prof John Boylan from Lancaster University via Energy Live News
“BULLY tactics closed down our business” – by Dawn via Trustpilot
You may also wish to refer to this thread on the Complaints Board.
BES Utilities FAQs
Who Owns BES Utilities?
Until recently, BES Utilities was co-owned by Andrew Pilley and Michelle Davidson. The pair resigned on 22nd May 2023 after Andrew Pilley was found guilty of fraud as a seven-month trial concluded on 19th May 2023 at Preston Crown Court.
Pilley was found guilty by a unanimous jury on two counts of running a business with the intention of defrauding creditors, one count of false representation and one count of being concerned with the retention of criminal property.
Note: In 2015, BES was fined £980,000 by Ofgem in relation to compliance with its obligations under the gas and electricity supply licences and had to compensate its affected customers. Pilley was also charged with fraud in September 2021, following a 5-year investigation by Trading Standards into BES Utilities.
Today, Melissa Pilley and Rowan Davidson are the current directors alongside Jamie Pilley, after being appointed on 15th April 2023.
Where Is The BES Utilities Head Office?
The BES Utilities head office is based in Fleetwood, Lancashire. The full address is BES Utilities, Parkside Stand, Fleetwood Town Football Club, Park Avenue, Fleetwood, FY7 6TX.
How Can I Contact BES Utilities?
When you switch through British Business Energy, we can handle all the contacts with your new supplier, so you can focus on running your business. However, should you ever need them, please find the detail below.
Customer Service Phone: 0344 5678 427 (Monday - Friday, 8.30 am to 5 pm)
Adding Additional Contacts: [email protected]
Account Termination: [email protected]
Picture of Meter Reads: [email protected]
Address: BES Utilities, Parkside Stand, Fleetwood Town Football Club, Park Avenue, Fleetwood, FY7 6TX
You can also use their Live Chat feature in the bottom right-hand side of their website, available Monday to Friday, 8.30 am - 5 pm.
What Is BES Utilities Cancellation Policy?
BES Utilities requests you give them no less than 14 days notice of cancellation of a contract if you are ceasing to be the owner, tenant, or occupier of the site.
If you are a fixed-term customer, you may not end your contract with them before the end date stated in the agreement or the 30-day notice period to end the contract.
More details can be found in their comprehensive terms and conditions on their website, which was last updated in February 2023.
What Is BES Utilities Fuel Mix?
BES Commercial Electricity Ltd Fuel Mix Disclosure (electricity supplied in the period April 2020 to March 2021)
Coal (5.8%), Natural Gas (72%), Nuclear (9.5%), Renewable (6.7), Other (6%)
CO2 emissions 379g per kWh
Radioactive waste 0.0007g per kWh
How Are BES Utilities Prices Regulated?
BES Utilities prices are regulated by Ofgem, a non-ministerial government department and an independent national regulatory authority.
BES Utilities Tariffs
Business Electricity Tariffs
- Deemed & Default Contracts: Electricity (PC 1-4) - 300p per day for standing charges and 69p per kWh consumption. Electricity (MD/HH) - 500p per day for standing charges and 69p per kWh consumption.
- Non-DD Contracts & Non-smart Customers: Electricity (PC 1-4) 200p per day for standing charges and 67p per kWh consumption. Electricity (MD/HH) - 300p per day in standing charges and 67p per kWh consumption.
- Supplies customers with free Smart Meters to eliminate estimated billing and offer more transparent electricity prices.
- Market tracker tariff is made up of the 5 industry costs: Wholesale energy, “Green” costs and levies, Distribution (DUoS), Transmission (TUoS) and Metering.
- Hassle-free invoices to help you to know exactly what you’ve been billed.
Business Gas Tariffs
- Deemed & Default Contracts based on Annual Quarterly usage: 0 - 73,200 kWh (450p per day standing charges and 24p per kWh consumption), 73,201 - 293,000 kWh (600p per day standing charges and 24p per kWh consumption), 293,001 - Above (850p per day standing charges and 24p per kWh consumption)
- Non-DD and Non-Smart Customers: 500p per day in standing charges and 23p per kWh consumption.
- Offer a budget plan payment scheme (BPP) where you pay a set amount each month to avoid bill shock in winter.
- Based and operate from the UK to help provide quick and reliable customer support.
- Easy invoices always know what you’ve been billed and your current gas price.
Other Business Energy Services
- BES Corporate Business for larger and multi-site customers, offering specialist account managers.
- Energy brokers
BES Utilities Website Score
- Clear contact information (including phone number) on the website? Yes
- Case studies and/or reviews on the website? No, and reviews from around the web seem mostly negative.
- Straightforward to get quotes? Yes
- Does the website contain useful information about business energy? Limited, the website lacks detailed information about their products and services including pricing.
- Online account management? Yes
Based on the above BES Utilities gets a website score of 3/5.